Tooth Extractions – Mt. Holly, NJ
A Necessary Part of
a Healthier Smile
Did you know that teeth are actually designed to last a lifetime? It’s true. With good oral hygiene and regular checkups, you can dramatically extend the longevity of your natural smile. However, there are times when tooth extractions in Mt. Holly are appropriate. Perhaps you need a tooth removed because of severe decay, infection or to prepare for orthodontic treatment. Whatever the case, you can relax knowing that the team at Mt. Holly Family Dentistry is here to offer skilled and compassionate care during tooth extractions in Mt. Holly, NJ. And we can also help restore your smile with a tooth replacement if necessary.
Why Choose Mt. Holly Family Dentistry for Tooth Extractions?
- Start-to-Finish Dental Implant Treatment
- Nitrous Oxide Sedation Available
- Experienced Team of 3 Dentists
Wisdom Tooth Extraction
Wisdom teeth are souvenirs of our prehistoric past when early man needed these large teeth to chew the food in their rough diets. Through the millennia, they have become obsolete, and now most people don’t even have jaws big enough to accommodate wisdom teeth. Consequently, they present a risk for tooth decay, infection, and pain. Therefore, extraction is often recommended.
After anesthetizing the site, the dentist makes an incision in your gums in order to remove the tooth. Forceps are used when possible, but sometimes a wisdom tooth must be sectioned for removal.
Multiple Tooth Extractions
Whether because of genetics, severe decay or traumatic injury, some patients need to have several teeth removed at one time. In this case, the procedure will be explained at the time of your appointment, and we’ll also talk to you about replacement options to rebuild your smile.
Another reason for multiple tooth extractions is if you have teeth that are extremely misaligned or overcrowded. Then, extraction is prescribed in preparation for orthodontic treatment.
Extraction Site Preservation
One of the best ways to replace a missing tooth is with a dental implant in Mt. Holly. However, after a tooth is extracted, your jawbone may begin to shrink, and this can affect your jaw’s ability to anchor an implant. To prevent this, we offer extraction site preservation, whereby a grafting material is used to strengthen the bone around your missing tooth. In this way, the jaw will have the needed density and volume to support a dental implant.
After tooth extraction, there are specific instructions that you will need to follow in order to keep the site clean and promote healing. These include:
- To reduce bleeding and encourage blood to clot at the extraction site, bite gently but firmly on a gauze pad
- For the first few days, rest and limit activity
- Eat a diet of soft foods and try to chew on the side of your mouth that didn’t undergo an extraction
- Take painkillers according to your dentist’s instructions
- Use an ice pack for 10 minutes on, 10 minutes off—to reduce swelling
- Don’t drink from a straw, because suction may dislodge blood clots
- Maintain oral hygiene, but don’t brush around the extraction site
- If you have any questions or concerns, please call the dental office
Preventive Dentistry Children's Dentistry Periodontal (Gum) Disease Treatment Restorative Dentistry Dental Implants Cosmetic Dentistry Orthodontics/Braces Sedation Dentistry Emergency Dentistry Wisdom Teeth Extractions TMJ/TMD Therapy Sleep Apnea Treatment View Our Services